Thursday 28 March 2013

North Indian Lamb Curry

Since we were going to be out this evening, it was time to pull out the slow cooker. I started with some lamb chops - they were the closest to an appropriate cut of meat for the slow cooker that the supermarket had. In any case, they turned out ok. I diced up the meat and an onion and browned them. Then I cut up a couple of capsicums (one red one green, because I like having colourful food) and put them in the slow cooker.

Next I added a bunch of spices: two green chillis (chopped up), a lot of garlic and ginger (blended into a paste), two black cardamom pods and two green ones, a bay leaf, some garam masala, some tumeric and some salt. I was also supposed to put in coriander powder but I didn't have any. I did have some coriander seeds, but not a spice grinder of any kind, so I put them in the blender thingy. It didn't really work that well, to be honest, but at least they weren't whole seeds anymore. I crushed them a bit with the flat of a knife to further break them up and then put them in too. Then I put the meat and onion on top, and then poured four tomatoes worth of tomato puree over it.

Then leave it to cook for six hours or so and come home to delicious curry. Just before serving, stir through some fresh coriander. I served it with roti, which I will put in another post.



No comments:

Post a Comment