Saturday 14 September 2013

Oven-baked barramundi

Since I've never tried this before it seemed like a good experiment to try cooking a whole fish. I don't eat a lot of seafood so my judgement isn't great when it comes to how they taste or look, but my wife is a much more experienced aficionado, so she can judge my attempts. I went with barramundi since it looked nice in the window of the deli, and tried a simpe recipe to bake it in the oven.

I put it in a dish and covered both sides with oil, salt, pepper, and rosemary. It warmed a little as the oven preheated and just before I put it in I daubed it with butter on the top side. I cut some grooves in it on each side in the hopes it would help the herbs and such seep in. I also liberally sprinkled lemon juice over the whole thing.

Here's the result after twenty minutes. The flesh was falling apart and was very juicy, quite tasty and well cooked. It smelled delicious and was obviously ready.

 

I'm not sure which portion looks better, but here they both are. I had no idea how to partition fish up, so I removed the head and tail and as many fins as possible. I then diced it up into roughly equal segments and plated it up. I cooked some asparagus in butter to go with it, which came out pretty well considering I'd never cooked that either. Overall, a very good review for this meal, especially considering my total inexperience with both cooking and eating the subject matter. Very satisfied, now back to watching the footy!

No comments:

Post a Comment